Course: Composing music for film and video games
This course has for objective to introduce students to music composition for film, TV and video games. In the 15 blocks of 3 hours, the students will learn film music evolution, music theory notions and writing techniques for film and interactive music.
DATES : february 16 to June 8
Total of 45 hours : lab and theory
- 15 blocks of 3 hours
- Saturday only
- Saturday from 10am to 1pm
- Can use a keyboard (piano, synth)
- Actual user of a sequencer / DAW: Cubase, ProTools, Logic, Nuendo, Digital Performer
- Basic music prerequisites:
- Comprehension of intervals (second major etc)
- Comprehension of JAZZ chords (Major, minor, Augmented, diminished and chord extensions)
- Comprehension of reversed chords
- Comprehension of timing principles (binary/third)
- To be familiar with the instruments of the orchestra (optional)
Trainer : MEDHAT HANBALI
Composer and ranger for film, TV, video games and pop music since 2009.
- History and evolution of film music
- Musical theory, arrangement techniques and MIDI orchestration
- Creating emotions and sound scapes
- Studies of musical styles
- Working for the image (Analysis of the scene’s needs)
- Composing techniques for interactive music (video game)
- Industry’s norms and practical tips to develop your career
The three hour blocks are devided in tow parts: theory and practice. In the theory part, the trainer will use video and music examples to illustrate the concepts. He will create a composition to put in context the notions seen in theory and provide examples of advanced MIDI orchestration.
In the practical part, the students will compose also a music using the techniques seen with the trainer. The trainer will be supporting the students in their work.
WHAT IS PROVIDED
Each students has access to an iMac with Cubase, Komplete (NI), a MIDI keyboard and an audio interface.
The students dan also bring their own computer and composition software if they want.
**Important** : students must bring their own pair of headphones.
Rebate before February 1st : 300$ (plus tax)
Starting February 1st:
450$ (plus tax) for students and Musitechnic’s graduates.
600$ (plus tax) for the public
Max number of students : 15 maximum
Level : intermediate
For more information
If you are interested, contact us for more information.