RECORDING AND SOUND DESIGN
New 4-session program in music and audio production!
Musitechnic has been a leader in audio and music production training since 1987. The courses are taught by audio and music industry professionals to prepare a new generation of audio specialists and music creators using a “hands-on” approach to teach modern production techniques.
Each student has access to over 60 Digital Workstations in the labs and can reserve our 9 studios free of charge during the school year to work on school and personnal projects. (see our installations).
Our numerious partnerships and complete program allow our students to optimize their chances of making a living while pursuing their passion thanks to a targeted, comprehensive and quality education as well as regular offers of internships allowing them to network and practice in a professional context.
The program is divided into 4 sessions spread over 12 months and once sucessfully completed earns an A.E.C. diploma in audio production techniques.
THE AUDIO AND MUSIC INDUSTRY
You will learn to understand how the industry works and what you need to learn in order to make a living while doing what you love. You will need solid knowledge of the operations of the each industry sector such as :
– Industry, organizations and types of jobs
– The different aeras related to audio
– The various types of teams
– The role of each job
– The different types of productions
– Professional ethics
AUDIO RECORDING 101
You will learn how an audio studio functions to record sound as well as how to choose the proper microphone, use the consoles, speakers, recording systems and more :
– Acoustics, microphones, speakers, consoles, recording systems, preamplifiers, equalizers, dynamics modifiers
– Analysis of technological and logistical needs inherent to a project
– How to connect the recording equipment
– The different types of studio recordings
DIGITAL AUDIO WORKSTATION (DAW)
This course will teach you how to build, optimize and operate your digital audio workstation. How to choose an appropriate computer to the installation of the software & plugins. The basics of electricity and signal flow via electrical connections.
– Analysis of the various audio processing software
– The use of audio technology
– The design of a typical workstation
– Installation and connections
– The basics of electricity
– Reference levels (acoustic & electrical)
INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER ASSISTED MUSIC COMPOSITION
Learns the basics of computer-assisted music composition. From the creation of your own sounds using synthesis and sampling to the creation of musical sequences, you will use professional software such as: Ableton Live, Wavelab, Omnisphere, Kontakt, Serum….
– Sound and its fundamental components
– Sound synthesis
– The Sequencer
AUDIO RECORDING 201
For this 2nd audio recording course, you will apply the different concepts & techniques of sound recording according to the different contexts: multitrack recording, film sound recording, mobile and remote sound recording.
– Effects, consoles, recording systems, preamplifiers, equalizers, dynamic modifiers
– Analysis of technological and logistical needs inherent to a project
– Connecting the recording equipment
– Multitrack recording
– Mobile recording
– The sound stage & TV studio
Learn to create a soundscape for a television or cinematographic production from the musical composition to the audio treatment of the dialogue while applying and meeting the various industry standards.
– The tracking session
– Editing and sound design
– The synchronization of audio and visual images
– The stereo mix
AUDIO MIXING 101
Learn to properly mix an entire song. A good mix can bring your song to another level and ensure an understanding and representation of the energy and emotion of the original performance. Whether you are submiting your work to a label or just to making music for yourself, a good mix is essential if you want to ensure that it is listened to as much as possible.
– Studio equipment for mixing
– Balancing sound levels
– Management of the dynamic range
– The focus and impact on the audience
– Positioning and movement of the sound elements
– Ways to recreate the acoustic reality
– Mixing adapted to the various musical styles
MUSICAL EDITING TECHNIQUES
– How to repair a bad sound recording– Temporal and rhythmic repair
– Pitch correction– The creation of harmonies
– The selection and assembly of the best takes (comping)
– Musical preparation before mixing
AUDIO FOR VIDEO GAMES
Learn how to create the different sound elements of a video game and integrate them using Audiokinetic’s audio engine WWISE (used for audio integration in some AAA licenses like Overwatch, Assissin’s Creed, the Witcher 3…).
– The peculiarities of gaming platforms
– Sound design for video games
– Dynamic integration of sounds in the game using Wwise.
– Setting the 3D dynamic sound environment
– Optimizing sound quality for limited disk space
– Testing and assurance of sound integration efficiency
By building on the notions learned in the Session 1 course “Introduction to Computer-Assisted Music composition”, learn the basics of music theory and musical performance techniques to create original music in a specific genre and format.
– The use of sequencer software for music creation
– The creation of a rhythmic sequence and understand the notion of “groove”
– The understanding of musical theory: scales & chord progressions
AUDIO MIXING 201
Take your music mixing to the next level using advanced techniques. Learn to use the various sound mixing equipment and techniques for different contexts such as radio or live concerts.
– The use of musical references as a guide
– Sound mixing of a musical recording project
– Tools used in broadcasting
– The tools used during concerts
– Sound equipment for indoor live events
– Level indicators
In this course you will develop your capacity to listen critically. You will learn the concepts necessary to improve and maintain your listening ability for the long run. You will also learn how to approach music mastering and optimize a mix according to the industry standards of traditional broadcast and digital distribution.
– Critical listening using a technical analysis grid
– The role of psychoacoustics
– Frequency bands and their sonic peculiarities
– The different types of circuits in a compressor
– The different steps of audio mastering
– Sound optimization according to broadcast and distribution standards
You will be responsible for making a soundtrack and soundscape for an audiovisual project:
– Determine the needs of an audiovisual project
– Planning your workflow
– Creation and management of a budget
– The creation of a list of sounds essential to the project
– Search for sounds in various sound banks
– Record and edit sounds
– A foley recording session
– Sound mixing for television broadcast
– A 3D surround sound mix
MUSIC PRODUCTION PROJECT
Apply all the steps of music production to create a radio hit.
– The job of a producer
– Creation and management of a recording budget
– The pre-production stage of a musical work
– Recording the music
– Editing the recorded material
– Mix the music
CAREER AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT / INTERNSHIPS
This course will prepare you for the reality of the job market and the management of your career. You will create a portfolio, a resume and a website to help you get started. In this course you will have to choose to do an end of the year project or an internship.
– An analysis of the job market
– Basic accounting operations (invoicing, taxes, tax deductions)
– The positioningon the web of a company or service
– The organization of a project demonstrating the quality of its services
– Project management tools
More information ?
Our team is here to answer your questions, reach the contact form with the button below.
Our classes are given in English or in French.